Punch continues to evolve as a business with an estate of circa 1,300 pubs across the UK. Reporting into the Head of Legal & Compliance and operating across all business models the role of the Commercial Estate Manager (CEM) will play a key role at the heart of this evolution.
Well respected and recognised within the business for professional status, the CEM will play a key role at the heart of the leased business model managing a key income stream for the group via the rent-roll in managing all scheduled rent reviews and agreement expiries within the region. The CEM will be required to work closely with operations, as well as additional field support teams, to drive income and explore opportunities for growth through investment, development and potential acquisition work.
The role of the CEM is vital in helping Punch to build our reputation as the most trusted and best value pub company. The role will primarily be responsible for managing the rent events and impact on rent roll of a regional pub portfolio as well as wider estate management matters. Rent responsibility will include completion of all inspections, valuations, negotiations and settlement of rent reviews and lease renewals acting as both landlord and tenant. The CEM will also be involved with rental valuation work for new lets and proposed investments, handling any dispute resolution cases as well as opportunities to lead wider teams in regard to Landlord & Tenant (L&T) advice, developments, Pubs Code and general estate management.
We need someone who can:
- Oversee the daily management of the regional rent roll and valuation function. Providing accurate, timely and pragmatic advice to support the Company’s business and commercial objectives.
- Active rental management including: Inspection, Valuation, Negotiation and Settlement.
- Research, prepare and present briefings to colleagues and senior management on relevant L&T and rent cases.
- Escalate protracted rent events in a timely manner and ensuring overdue events are minimised.
- Ensure compliance with all legal regulations and statutory obligations.
Pubs, people and possibilities are at the heart of everything we do, so the ideal candidate will:
- Research and review pub level performance to evidence the rent event decision-making process.
- Analyse pub-based consumer reviews and feedback to aid rent proposals.
- Clarify rent assessments and the process of rent reviews to aid Publicans knowledge and awareness.
- Ensure the Pubs Code is adhered in all interactions and outputs.
- Be a brand and industry ambassador, operating with integrity, energy and enthusiasm.
- Actively identify and explore opportunities for growth including investment, development and potential acquisition.
In order to be bold and proactive, we need a team member who can:
- Look for opportunities to increase productivity and efficiency within the role and team remit, equally for the business as a whole.
- Positively challenge through persuasive and professional communication decisions and opinions that stops or limits business growth.
- Negotiate potential commercial opportunities.
Accuracy is key to this role, so we need a team member who can:
- Maintain own caseload of rent events and being responsible for presenting proposals to regional colleagues as well as board members for approval.
- Timely management/prioritisation of Lease Renewal/Rent Reviews (including head leases) and management of associated legal notices/documents.
- Build strong, sustainable relationships both internally and in the wider industry.
- Advise and guide the Punch team on matters relating to the Landlord and Tenant Act and Pubs Code.
- Consistently gain industry and commercial insight to provide the best possible information and knowledge available.
- Provide excellent customer service to both Publicans and the Punch team ensuring that all deadlines are achieved.
- Collate and maintain local market comparable database and records.
- Ensure awareness of any legal updates/regulatory changes and the associated impact.
As part of a team, you will be required to:
- Provide professional advice in relation to the Landlord and Tenant Act, Pubs Code and estate management in general.
- Understand and collate local market comparable database/knowledge.
- Ensure professional practice is implemented when dealing with Publicans and Consumers.
- Build strong professional relationships with industry associates and networking groups to maximise opportunities for engagement.
- Manage and maintain key relationships with solicitors, agents and surveyors.
- Oversee regional formulation, planning and implementation of an effective rent and estate strategy.
- Work with colleagues to provide creative solutions to aid resolution of rent reviews and lease renewals.
- Provide expert insight, guidance and support to colleagues and Publicans in all matters of legal, rent, Pubs Code and compliance.
- Train and coach operators on property and rental valuations ensuring adherence to legal guidelines.
- Provide updates and reports to the key stakeholders in the business including Operations, Finance, and Property.
- Train and coach Operations team and wider support functions to include briefings on commercial estate management and valuation.
You will work with your Finance Team and the:
- Head of Legal & Compliance (Line Manager)
- Commercial Estates Managers
- Operations Director
- Operations Manager
- Regional Property Director
- Estates Development Manager
- Central Legal & Estates Team
Person Specification – Technical Competencies/Professional expertise
The ideal candidate will have:
- A high level of written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to form strong and effective business relationships with both internal and external customers.
- Ability to make and provide advice around commercially focused business decisions.
- Ability to plan and prioritise whilst working under pressure in a high paced environment.
- Adaptable and able to key new business requirements at short notice.
- Flexibility and ability to adapt to change to meet the needs of the business.
- RICS qualified ideally with relevant licensed trade sector experience.
- A good level IT skill required including Excel, Word and Power point.
- A high level of adaptability to work across a wide geography.
The closing date for applications is Monday 26th July 2021