Working within our innovative Food Department, you will be responsible for delivering the food vision across our concepts, within our diverse pub estate.
As Food Business Manager, you will work with our Publicans, Operations Managers and other internal support teams, to maximise the potential of each pub by optimising sales, coaching publicans, and driving consistent high standards.
With expertise and guidance, you will confidently launch food and back of house plans for newly invested sites, including delivering an appropriate and safe food offering, whilst ensuring excellent food controls and disciplines post launch.
You will comfortably influence and demonstrate great business acumen, that impacts positively on the overall Punch business.
You will have a flair for food and will assist in menu development across the concepts, but specialising in our premium food offer.
- Support and develop our Management Partners and their teams to execute delicious food in a safe environment, ensuring maximum potential of each pub is realised.
- Review all capex proposals to ensure that the tools and equipment are in place to execute food to a high standard.
- Work with the relevant Operations teams to support site visits and agree the full food vision for each pub.
- Provide advice to the Operations Manager on how they can grow food sales, food gross profit, yield wastage speed and quality of service, all underpinned with great food safety practices.
- Approve food vision and budget as part of the capex process.
- Work with regionally based kitchen suppliers to ensure they are provided with the suitable templates.
- Ensure opening food orders and pre-set up tasks are completed ahead of launch week.
- Consult with Operations Managers to set up back of house, through spec book training and operational use for kitchen teams, to positively impact on food safety, speed of service and food quality for customers who visit the pub.
- Coach kitchen teams and Management Partners on the importance of accurately completing safety docs and logbooks.
- Complete kitchen sign-off that is signed by the kitchen team, that provides a clear review and action plan for both Management Partners and Operations Managers post launch.
- Identify and deliver food and safety training to both Operation Managers and Management Partners.
- Support the Menu Development Manager on an allocated menu concept, that includes scoping out and creating dishes that fit the concept, and deliver against profit targets.
- Generate pace and urgency during high-risk food safety situations to support in minimising guest and business impact.
- Putting Publicans at the heart of what you do will mean you work closely with the Punch Progress team, providing training, support and upskilling solutions for Publicans.
- Work with the Operations Manager to educate them on how to achieve operational kitchens, with both back of house and front of house execution of food menus.
- Provide guidance on requirements per menu and Management Partnership concept for publicans and support teams, in an attempt to help the Operations Manager understand the perfect Publican to recruit.
- Support in developing the Operations Manager’s knowledge on food, through attending regular regional meetings and ensuring they receive regular updates as part of the menu process.
- Offer guidance to the Operations Manager on the skills needed to ensure that food has a sustainable success for the pub going forward.
- Support concept and menu development in terms of operational requirements, kitchen capabilities and speed of service.
- Head of Food
- Food Operations Manager
- Menu Development Manager
- Operations Director
- Operations Manager
- Property Manager
Person Specification – Technical Competencies
- Striving for Success
- Self Confidence
- Commercial Acumen
- Customer Orientation
- Understanding People and Working in Teams
- Planning and Organising
- Communication and Influencing
- Delivering Success
What we’re looking for – Professional expertise
- Previous experience working within a food/catering environment, with strong catering kitchen experience.
- Management experience, ideally within a pub environment.
- Group training technique (GTT) or craft training award (CTA) or relevant training qualifications.
- Knowledge of the food service sector.
- Passion for food.
- Customer focused with a real passion for meeting the customers’ expectations.
- Full driving licence.
- Confidence in presenting information to large, varied audiences.
- Competent in Microsoft Office packages, i.e. PowerPoint, Word, Excel.
- Advanced food hygiene.
Field based with regular Head Office visits.
Preferably Midlands based but not essential.